Wild Herbs Foraging Workshop (13.05.2022)
Following our very successful mushroom picking workshop last year, we are organizing a spring edition focusing on wild edible herbs with our amazing nature guide Anna from Helsinki Wildfoods.
Aallonhuiput will cover part of the costs and the price of the workshop will be 20 euros. The workshop can only fit 16 people, so be quick to sign-up. For registration and more info see below.
There are enormous amounts of superfood growing in the nearby forests of Helsinki Capital Region – wild and free!
The foraging walk will introduce you to the most common wild herbs and vegetables from the Finnish coastline and rocky areas as well as meadows and forest in the beautiful Seurasaari. You'll learn how to identify the most common and delicious spring wild herbs and vegetables and how to use them in cooking. In addition, you'll also learn the nutritional values of the plants, their folklore, mystery and history. A minimum of 15 edible wild plants are usually covered.
The foraging workshop will be held in English and includes:
• A beginner’s foraging walk to identify wild edible and medicinal plants
• Introducing the local ecology and nature around Helsinki
• Learning to identify and use the most common Finnish wild herbs & vegetables safely
• Learning about preserving plants - drying, blanching, and freezing
• Understanding everyman’s rights and the importance of sustainable foraging
• E-book about Finnish wild herbs and vegetables (in English)
Bring along a basket or paper bag for the herbs, scissors and gloves (for picking nettles) appropriate clothing for the weather and water bottle if it's a hot day.
The foraging adventure is led by licensed wild food counselor and biologist Anna Nyman.